Cross Site Scripting Advisory.

From: uk2secat_private-ip.com
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 01:52:54 PST

    -- MODERATOR --
    Edited accordingly, Identified 3 possible vendors.
    -- /MODERATOR --

    uk2sec Cross Site Scripting Advisory
    by c0w_d0g3

    uk2secat_private-ip.com

    Many many websites run a 'site search' tool on their webpage with a URL
    that looks like this:

    /search/index.cfm

    I am having trouble locating a specific vendor, but according to windows
    the possible applications that may run it are:

      .CFM  Corel FontMaster
            Cold Fusion Template File
            Visual dBASE Windows Customer Form

    Furthermore, 100% of all the systems we have tested are running IIS/4.0 or
    IIS/5.0.

    A quick search on google returns about 165'000 hits for the search tool.

    To connect directly to the search tool - its usually:

    http://www.example.com/search/index.cfm

    There are several ways to demo the Cross Site Scripting problem.

    The first is connect directly to the /search/index.cfm page and in the
    search box type:

    <script>alert("uk2sec")</script>

    And that works.

    Sometimes however you need to change this slightly to:

    http://www.example.com/search/index.cfm?>alert("uk2sec")</script>

    And connect...  (it will still give you the same page)

    And then in the search box (there may be more than one box for detailed
    searches but just fire it into any) type:

    <script>alert("uk2sec")</script>

    Press enter to search, and it'll work.

    This was tested on Multiple browsers as well (mozilla, IE, konqueror).

    Live examples are not allowed on this list, however its not hard to find
    somewhere to test it.

    Points to consider - sometimes the java script in the URL you request, must
    be the same script as the one you put in the search box (or thats just
    what we found on one site we tested).

    Regards,

    c0w_d0g3
    uk2sec