Re: PHPNuke SQL Injection / General SQL Injection

From: MightyE (mightyeat_private)
Date: Sat Feb 22 2003 - 13:20:29 PST

    Actually, user supplied input from $_COOKIES, $_POST, and $_GET comes
    slash-escaped, so if the user enters
    ' or 1=1
    as their input, the sql statement will look like
    where some_int='\' or 1=1'

    This is determined by the PHP directive, magic_quotes_gpc.  During
    script execution, you can execute
    if (!get_magic_quotes_gpc()){
        //code to recurse global variables, calling addslashes() on their values
    }
    to ensure that all user supplied input is properly escaped.

    The proper escaping for ' and " in most databases (excluding Oracle and
    Sybase only, I believe), is to use \', \", and \\.

    In Oracle and Sybase, ' and " are escaped as '' and "".   Magic quotes
    in PHP can be configured for Sybase compatibility, see the PHP website.

    What I do on my portable code, where I can't know whether or not the
    server it's running on has magic quotes enabled, is use a function like
    this:

    function escape($input){
        if (get_magic_quotes_gpc()) return $input;
        return addslashes($input);
    }

    and all user input through that.  As far as I know, all major databases
    accept quoted integers and interpret them as standard integers, so
    *always* quote user input so that they cannot inject SQL.