Ecardis Password Reseting Vulnerability

From: Haluk AYDIN (haydinat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 23:14:24 PST

    Hi,

    I don't know if someone has discovered this before but Ecartis 1.0.0
    (former listar) contains a vulnerability that enables an attacker to reset
    passwords of any user defined on the list server, including the list
    admins.

    After logging on as a non-priviledged user, Ecartis enables the user to
    change his/her password, but does not ask for the old one. The first time
    I have seen this, I thought that the software relies on the session
    cookie, but it seems this is not the case.

    The html page contains the username in the "hidden" fields. After saving
    the page on disk, then replacing all "hidden" fields with another username
    which is defined in the server, and reloading the page again we can try
    our chance to change the password. Just fill in the empty password fields
    with a password of your choice, and click "Change Password": there you
    are... You have just reset the victim's password.

    I have not tested this on different versions, but I guess it will work for
    all of them. I would appreciate any comments on the issue.

    Regards,