Re: Netscape Communicator 4.x sensitive informations in configuration file

From: Paul Szabo (pszat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 28 2003 - 15:03:17 PST

    Byron York <byronat_private> wrote:

    >> ... I've checked a file named prefs.js ...
    >> the IMAP mail part ... shows the unencrypted password ...
    >>
    >> user_pref("mail.imap.server.imap.computec.ch.password", "MyPassword4");
    >> user_pref("mail.imap.server.imap.computec.ch.remember_password", true);
    >>
    >> This is also true for POP3 and perhaps for SMTP, NNTP and LDAP
    >> passwords. The passwords are only stored if the remember password option
    >> is set (e.g. line 18).
    >>
    >> It may be possible to extract these passwords during a sneaking access
    >> to the system (local or remote by a backdoor)[1, 2] or examine a backup.
    >> This weakness should be keeped in mind.
    >>
    >> I'm not sure if this vulnerability exists in other Netscape versions
    >> (e.g. 6 or 7).
    >>
    >> [1] http://www.idefense.com/advisory/11.19.02c.txt
    >> [2] http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/6215
    >
    > We use Netscape 4.74 with roaming profiles using POP3, and my prefs.js file
    > keeps the password hidden:
    >
    > user_pref("mail.pop_name", "byron");
    > user_pref("mail.pop_password", "encryptedstuff");
    > user_pref("mail.remember_password", true);
    >
    > I am not sure if the encryption is turned on someplace, but I suspect it is
    > on by default, for it is definitely there for all of our POP clients using
    > 4.74.

    That is not encryption, but reversible obfuscation. Look in the Netscape
    source code for how to decode that: Netscape is able to do it and send the
    clear-text password to the POP server.

    Do not allow Netscape (or other utilities, e.g. Eudora) to remember your
    passwords.

    Cheers,

    Paul Szabo - pszat_private  http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au:8000/u/psz/
    School of Mathematics and Statistics  University of Sydney   2006  Australia