[Full-Disclosure] Re: Terminal Emulator Security Issues

From: Pavel Machek (pavelat_private)
Date: Sun Mar 02 2003 - 12:50:29 PST

    Hi!

    > TERMINAL EMULATOR SECURITY ISSUES
    > Copyright  2003 Digital Defense Incorporated

    I played related joke on my friends,
    telling them to

    telnet host 1234

    and login with

    secret
    #r_f#_m -r _g_/

    (of coursed it set terminal to black/black
    and disconnected after printing "Password:".)

    Not permiting black-on-black-type
    color combinations should help this.

    Also terminals have various answerback
    sentences. On localhost it is easy to
    exploit any such thing.

    (Create README file and xtermls executable
    in some directory. Make README ask
    xterm for answerback and hope user
    will do ls after cat-ing README. Ouch.)
    				Pavel

    --
    				Pavel
    Written on sharp zaurus, because my Velo1 broke. If you have Velo you don't need...

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html