Re: [LSD] Technical analysis of the remote sendmail vulnerability

From: Eric Allman (eric+bugtraqat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 09:29:02 PST

    I want to emphasize one of the last sentences in this posting:
    ``However, we cannot exclude that there does not exist another
    execution path in the sendmail code, that could lead to the program
    counter overwrite.''  Please don't breath a sigh of relief because
    you are running on one of the "does not crash" systems.

    Besides direct execution path exploits, there are other variables
    that are not pointers that have security implications; finding one of
    them within range will be more difficult, but probably not impossible.

    Everyone should patch as soon as possible, regardless of platform.

    eric