Re: 3Com SuperStack 3 Firewall Content Filter Exploitable Via Telnet

From: Niels Bakker (niels=bugtraqat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 05 2003 - 12:44:11 PST

    * bit_logic@s-mail.com [Wed 05 Mar 2003, 21:35 CET]:
    [..]
    > C:\>telnet www.blockedsite.com 80
    >
    > GET / HTTP/1.1
    > Host: www.blockedsite.com
    >
    > Given the nature of Telnet, the request is sent to the server one
    > character at a time; obviously, the filter cannot examine packets with a
    > single character of valid data, so each packet makes it through with no

    Actually, in these situations, telnet works line-based.  That's also why
    backspace works (modulo matching terminal emulator and stty settings).

    > problem.  The blocked server waits until it receives all packets, then
    > pieces them together and responds to the request.  Incoming traffic isn't
    > monitored, so the user is easily able to receive the source code of the
    > page he requested via telnet.

    Does a filtering product exist that has not had this flaw in the past?

    > Unfortunately, I do not have the necessary equipment at my disposal to
    > further test the exploit, although I know for a fact that it works, at
    > least on firewalls with basic filter configurations.  I also have yet to
    > come up with a successful work-around for this bypass, as it occurs at a
    > very low level.  If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.  Thanks.

    Force all HTTP traffic via a proxy that sends out its own HTTP requests
    in one packet; don't try to solve social problems with technical
    solutions; and above all, realise that filtering in this way is utterly
    useless censorship.

    	-- Niels.

    --
    subvertise me