Re: xscreensaver exploit for Redhat 7.3

From: Steven Leikeim (stevenat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 13:56:27 PST

    On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 06:26:41PM -0000, Angelo Rosiello wrote:

    > I think you don't need other comments:
    >
    > /*
    > **
    > ** Tested on rh 7.3 using XFree86
    > ** xscreensaver vulnerability
    > ** AUTHORS: Angelo Rosiello (Guilecool) & deka
    > ** REQUIRES: X must be run!
    > ** EFFECTS: local root exploit!
    > **

    Oddly enough, this does NOT work on my RedHat 7.3 installation. I have the
    default xscreensaver RPM installed (xscreensaver-3.33-4).

    When I run this, xscreensaver DOES dump core, however, xscreensaver is not
    suid root and so will not itself give a root exploit. Perhaps there is an
    expected interaction with the X server (which is running as root) but this
    is not clear from Angelo's message.

    Steven Leikeim
    University of Calgary