RE: response to tax software not encrypting tax info

From: er t (er587at_private)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 11:20:13 PST

    Mom and Pop use this software, your English teacher uses this software,
    probably even your local baker... This is a case of Vendor vs. User... I
    Thank PivX for helping the Community and WE must help out our users.

    You can almost bet the that the users of the Tax program use IE to surf the
    internet, and mostly unpatched. The dangerous web site, knowing the default
    location of the Tax files, or even the unprotected "net use IP C:" doesn't
    help out our users.

    What could help our users is a default simple encryption of the Tax files.

    You are correct when saying

    "I am wondering, is it really the responsibility of every piece of software
    that handles potentially sensitive info to provide (strong)encryption
    capabilities?"

    Because not everyone using today's computers can utilized EFS or a third
    party encryption tool.

    .er.587