Re: Unknown trust error when downloading ocget.dll

From: Garry_Stewartat_private
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 15:39:27 PST

    I've been battling this for a couple of days now too ...

    I have one thing to add to what Ken said, and that is ... If you turn on
    the Prompt for Unsigned ActiveX Controls, then I've found that you get a
    prompt to install and run http://codecs.microsoft.com/objects/ocget.dll
    Which clearly is a bug to me ... since it should be installing the activex
    control and not the ocget.dll.

    My page is simply trying to install the mscomctl.cab from
    http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb6/mscomctl.cab#version=-1,-1,-1,-1

    Another interesting thing I found was Microsoft's KB article Q323207.
    Their resolution is to remove the two URL's for the ocget.dll from the
    CodeBaseSearchPath in the registry.   I tried that, and decided to add
    http://codecs.microsoft.com/objects/ocget.dll to it too, and that worked.
    Hardly a viable solution though, as I'd hate to have modifying the registry
    as a requirement for using my web page.

    Comments?

    Thanks,
    Garry Stewart.

    |---------+--------------------------->
    |         |           Tim Finnigan    |
    |         |                           |
    |         |           03/14/03 04:23  |
    |         |           PM              |
    |         |                           |
    |---------+--------------------------->
      >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
      |                                                                                                                 |
      |        To:      Garry Stewart/CGY/LP/VDGC@VES, Donald Wong/CGY/LP/VDGC@VES, Terry Brost/CGY/LP/VDGC@VES, Bill   |
      |        Armstrong/CGY/LP/VDGC@VES                                                                                |
      |        cc:                                                                                                      |
      |        Subject: Unknown trust error when downloading ocget.dll                                                  |
      >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

    It's been posted to bugtraq...

    ----- Forwarded by Tim Finnigan/CGY/LP/VDGC on 03/14/2003 04:22 PM -----
    |---------+--------------------------->
    |         |           Ken Fischer     |
    |         |           <kenfat_private|
    |         |           bug.org>        |
    |         |                           |
    |         |           03/14/2003 03:45|
    |         |           PM              |
    |         |           Please respond  |
    |         |           to kenf         |
    |         |                           |
    |---------+--------------------------->
      >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
      |                                                                                                                 |
      |        To:      bugtraqat_private                                                                       |
      |        cc:                                                                                                      |
      |        Subject: Unknown trust error when downloading ocget.dll                                                  |
      >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

    Greetings,

    We have run into a problem this afternoon with the copy of
    ocget.dll that is located at:
     http://codecs.microsoft.com/objects/ocget.dll

    It seems that it is either signed improperly, or not at all.

    This .dll is loaded automatically by IE when .cab files are
    downloaded from the server.  Usually it is transparent, if
    the signature is ok.  Since that is no longer the case, our
    users are getting an access denied message due to the security
    settings on their browser.

    Since ocget.dll is not really a required download, according to Microsoft
    ( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b323207 )
    the pages still display correctly.

    The users are still blaming our programmers for the problem, of course :)
    Not to mention the possible security implications here.

    Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

    ( Verified on: Win2K/IE5.5-SP2, Win2K/IE6.0-SP1 and WinXP/IE6.0 )

    Thanks.

    --
    Ken Fischer, CCNA  <kenfat_private>
    PGP Fingerprint: 9523 54B6 D67B BBFB 53B3  2F3B 7E81 0891 C495 CB50