Sendmail: -1 gone wild

From: Michal Zalewski (lcamtufat_private)
Date: Sat Mar 29 2003 - 12:05:32 PST

    CVE:  CAN-2003-0161
    CERT: VU#897604

      *** FORCED RELEASE -- VENDOR NOTIFIED AS OF 03/18/03 ***

    There is a vulnerability in Sendmail versions 8.12.8 and prior. The
    address parser performs insufficient bounds checking in certain conditions
    due to a char to int conversion, making it possible for an attacker to
    take control of the application. This problem is not related to the recent
    ISS vulnerability announcement.

    The impact is believed to be a root compromise. I've confirmed this is a
    local issue, and my initial impression is that a remote attack possibility
    is not that unlikely. Only platforms with 'char' type signed by default
    are vulnerable as-is, and little endian systems would be easier to
    exploit. Systems that use Sendmail privilege separation are safer against
    the _local_ attack, but even then it is still possible to compromise the
    smmsp account and control the submission queue.

    The bug lurks in parseaddr.c in prescan() function, which, in certain
    conditions, will run past the buffer size limit and overwrite stack
    variables, reaching to and past the stored instruction pointer itself.
    This function is called quite generously accross the code for processing
    e-mail addresses.

    It is possible for the attacker to repeatedly skip the length check
    location in this function because of an unfortunate construction of a
    "special" control value check. A special value, NOCHAR, is defined as -1.
    There is a variable 'c', also used to store last read character, declared
    as int, and the variable will be sometimes assigned the value of NOCHAR to
    indicate a special condition.

    Unfortunately, the input character - type char - defaults to a signed type
    on many modern platforms, and ASCII value 0xff ((char)-1) will be
    converted to 0xffffffff ((int)-1) upon assignment. This makes character
    0xff indistinguishable from NOCHAR after being stored in 'c', and makes it
    possible for the attacker to spoof NOCHAR and skip the length check.

    Since precise control of the overwrite process is possible (length, offset
    and layout are up to the attacker), even though the values are mostly
    fixed, it is reasonable to expect that this vulnerability will be easy to
    exploit on little endian systems. Even on big endian systems, it might be
    still possible to alter important control variables on the stack, and you
    are generally advised to upgrade.

    I've notified the vendor on March 18, and got a response on the next day.
    Sendmail is releasing version 8.12.9, and the official notice is as
    follows:

      Sendmail, Inc., and the Sendmail Consortium announce the availability
      of sendmail 8.12.9.  It contains a fix for a critical security
      problem discovered by Michal Zalewski whom we thank for bringing
      this problem to our attention.  Sendmail urges all users to either
      upgrade to sendmail 8.12.9 or apply a patch for your sendmail version.
      Remember to check the PGP signatures of patches or releases obtained via
      FTP or HTTP (to check the correctness of the patches in this
      announcement please verify the PGP signature of it).  For those not
      running the open source version, check with your vendor for a patch.

            SECURITY: Fix a buffer overflow in address parsing due to
                    a char to int conversion problem which is potentially
                    remotely exploitable.  Problem found by Michal Zalewski.

    Please visit http://www.sendmail.org for more details and patches, and
    check with your vendor for the availability of a new or patched package.

    --
    ------------------------- bash$ :(){ :|:&};: --
     Michal Zalewski * [http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx]

     [ http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/photo/current ]

       Mister Trouble never hangs around
       When he hears this Mighty sound:
       "Here I come to save the day!"
       That means that Mighty Mouse is on the way!
       Yes sir, when there is a wrong to right
       Mighty Mouse will join the fight
       On the sea or on the land
       He gets the situation well in hand
       So though we are in danger
       We never despair
       'Cause we know that where there's danger
       He is there!
       He is there! On the land! On the sea! In the air!
       We're not worryin' at all
       We're just listenin' for his call:
       "Here I come to save the day!"
       That means that Mighty Mouse is on the way!

       Mr. Trouble never hangs around