bitchx sources trojaned - follow up

From: Micha³ Szwaczko (mikeyat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 13:17:26 PDT

    It seems that my posts have been misfired a little.

    Let me summarize how,when and why I got trojaned sources
    Since I am not a security guru whatsoever I couldn't know that this
    issue is already known. Anyway, it did happen to me this Saturday
    so there is a possibility that something weird is lingering at ftp.bitchx.org
    or its DNS servers.

    So,

    I fired up www.bitchx.org Saturday 13.04.2003 about 22:00 local time.
    I went to download.php and checked the URL for source tarball.
    I wget'ted that URL - on saturday it showed:

    ftp://ftp2.bitchx.org/pub/BitchX/source/ircii-pana-1.0c19.tar.gz
    (I double-checked wget command line that I issued)

    I archived the said file,it's MD5 checksum is:

    sh> md5sum ircii-pana-1.0c19.tar.gz
    927163e0466884b2771ae769e5c775d0  ircii-pana-1.0c19.tar.gz

    I started ./configure script and noticed outbound connections to port 6667.
    They were firewall-blocked anyway and that's why they really caught my eye.
    Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have noticed them and perhaps would not have
    bothered.

    So,I inspected ./configure and found the piece of code I was sending to the list.

    All I was asking for was to verify that this was a backdoor, since I really
    didn't know about it and it looked like one (at least my C knowledge said so)
    (well I heard about irssi 'patched' that way)

    My impression after all your posts saying that the bitchx.org sources are OK
    is that on Saturday two things could have happened.

    - some sort of dns spoofing which fooled wget to fetch 'bad' tarball
     (notice I was downloading from ftp_2_.bitchx.org)
    - modified webpage showing 'wrong' URL

    I am 100% sure that I was getting the URL from the official www.bitchx.org.
    So what do you think?

    ps. I am not doing all this just to get bugtraq'ed ;-) I just thought
    there's something weird lurking around at www.bitchx.org. I am not a
    security inspector/advisor nor do I have sufficient knowledge so I decided
    to discuss it here.

    Regards
    --
    Micha³ 'Mikey' Szwaczko
    Developer/Troubleshooter

    gcc is really a compressor - it gets 100M of kernel sources down to 700k.