Re: Exploit/DoS in MS Internet Explorer 6.0 (OBJECT Tag)

From: Roland Postle (mailat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 15:12:46 PDT

    ><object id="test"
    >       data="#"
    >       width="100%" height="100%"
    >       type="text/x-scriptlet"
    >       VIEWASTEXT></object>

    What I think is happening is that IE takes the URL '#' on it's own to
    mean current document. (You can ahieve the same affect by specifying
    data="document.html" where document.html is the name of the html file
    running the code.)

    When the data in the file '#' is embedded into the document and
    executed it too contains the same object tag which embeds the document
    again and again. Eventually it runs out of stack space. I doubt this is
    exploitable on it's own except as a DoS.

    - Blazde