Re: Exploit/DoS in MS Internet Explorer 6.0 (OBJECT Tag)

From: mattmurphyat_private
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 10:26:47 PDT

    >*Description*
    >Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 (other versions not tested) is
    >vulnerable to a DoS when specially crafted html is present on a page.
    >The vulnerability is in the processing of the OBJECT tag.

    A *year-old* DoS.  This is one good reason for researchers to make sure
    they aren't posting duplicates.  I've criticized Microsoft's support
    policies in the past for cutting off support channels for small bugs such
    as this.

    On a more positive note, I'd like to add that Microsoft is apparently re-
    investigating this issue to determine why I wasn't able to squeeze at
    least a service-pack fix out of them. :-)

    W2ksp3 is not vulnerable to the bug in the same way that other OSes are;
    MS nicely patched it so that it displayed a warning when processing
    folder templates over a network.  Other systems lack this protection, and
    will happily download and script folder content over a hostile network.
    By crafting the folder template to exploit this, you could cause an
    infinite loop on some Windows versions, as the shell crashes, and
    restarts automatically -- with its folders intact.  This starts an ugly
    spiral until the system becomes unusable from the console, and must be
    restarted.  Worse, similar behavior occurs the next time a user logs in --
     the system must be un-plugged from the internet to prevent the mess from
    starting over.