Microsoft IIS Integrated Authentication

From: skybristolat_private
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 13:10:54 PDT

    Microsoft's IIS server allows for an integrated authentication method
    which allows users within an intranet environment to sign-on
    automatically with "pass-through authentication" to servers set for
    Integrated Windows Authentication. This works if users are logged into a
    workstation in the same domain with the intranet server they are
    accessing. In this system, the user's current logon credentials on their
    workstation are compared to the server-retrieved credentials for the
    user. If the hashes match and the user has rights to the directory, they
    are in without a password prompt. The following article provides
    additional details:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-
    us/comsrv2k/htm/cs_gs_security_xmky.asp

    According to the Microsoft documentation, the only way for a user from
    another domain to be able to use this method is for the two domains to be
    trusted in some way. I happen to have a multiple Windows 2000 Active
    Directory forest situation, and I found a way to get user credentials
    from a completely untrusted domain into a site protected by this system.

    I have two separate Active Directory forests; one in an external network
    and one in an internal RFC1918 network. There are two different DNS
    domains (matching the AD domain names) for these networks, one public and
    one internal. Both forests have the same NetBIOS name. The NetBIOS domain
    name is used in the Integrated Windows Authentication method as the user
    ID prefix - <domain>\<user ID>. I placed a set of user credentials in
    both domains with matching ID (sAMAccountName) and password. I placed a
    test IIS Web server protected with Integrated Windows Authentication in
    the internal network domain. I configured an IE Web browser on a client
    in the external domain with the internal site as a trusted site. I was
    then able to access the entire internal site from the external, non-
    trusted workstation without a password prompt.

    Now, the chances of a real-world exploit coming from this are slim. I
    would still have to fully compromise a user and password and gain network
    access to the protected resource. However, once these were accomplished,
    I could spoof a given user very easily and make it look like I was from a
    trusted domain.