[Full-Disclosure] Re: ALERT WEBDAV worm on the loose

From: Johannes Ullrich (jullrichat_private)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 05:11:19 PDT

    sorry to be the semantic freak (I am surely not the spelling or grammar
    guy). But in order to call this a 'worm', it needs
    to self replicate. What you may have on your hand at this
    point is most likely a tool to collect bots for some kind
    of irc bot network (just guessing here) based on the small
    number of sources at work here.

    On the other hand, I am seeing some advances in this type of
    exploits around. It maybe that the kids finally learned to
    build better 'offset libraries' to make this exploit more
    efficient.

    > A) the host inserted in the string is the IP address, and not the
    > hostname (any reference to your web site would have been via name)
    >
    > B) this worm has attacked 6 different networks so far, in one case hitting
    > 740 ip address on one network and 504 ip addresses on another network.
    >
    > C) worm has attempted to contact hosts that are not running a web server
    > (scanning)
    >
    > D) Once worm finds a web server, it only sends the search string to MS
    > servers.
    >
    > For more information on worm, see:
    > see MS announcement of vulnerability March 17th:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms03-007.asp
    >
    > For lists of the source ip addresses and networks attacked, see:
    >
    > http://www.hackertrap.net/IP.pl?IP=216.5.78.37
    > and
    > http://www.hackertrap.net/IP.pl?IP=12.210.139.232
    >
    > --