Re: Multiple Vulnerabilities in SLWebmail

From: H D Moore (slwebmailpostat_private)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 12:57:37 PDT

    I found some similar problems back in October 02', the updated versions
    should also fix the issues below. The vendor was notified and the
    majority of the issues were fixed in the test release they provided back.

    1) The SLMail application comes with an administrative web service that
    allows the user to instantly gain SYSTEM privileges through a standard
    directory traversal attack (you can launch executables). The wierd bit
    about this is that you must use three dots to traverse the parent
    directory, even on non Windows 9x systems (tested on Win2K).

    ---
    GET /.../.../.../Winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir HTTP/1.0
    Authorization: Basic <base64 auth>

    Directory of C:\Winnt\system32

    10/20/2002  07:12a      <DIR>          .
    10/20/2002  07:12a      <DIR>          ..
    09/17/2002  10:50a                 350 $winnt$.inf
    ---

    2) The SLMail admin server directory traversal [1] lets you check for the
    existence of files without providing any authentication. The service is
    returning a second HTTP header after the first that contains the actual
    return code of the request (404, 501, 200, etc).

    3) Overflow in the "LANGUAGE" parameter to all DLL's in the
    /scripts/SLWebMail directory. I managed to finally get a second-chance
    (fatal) exception after hitting it about 40 times with different length
    and content.

    4) Tons of path disclosure bugs. Set the LANGUAGE variable to something
    invalid and it complains it cant find the error text file, giving up the
    disk path in the process. This variable can be used with a directory
    traversal, but you can only read files named 'ErrorText.dat'. Using a
    null byte after the parameter does no good and overflowing it entirely
    only lets you bleed into an adjacent buffer, which is then overwritten
    with "C:\WINNT\x00" (from the SYSTEMPATH env actually). There are quite a
    few other places where it spits out extraneous path information.

    5) A couple GUI applications are installed in /scripts/SLWebMail/WebMail,
    you can just keep requesting these one by one until the server runs out
    of memory. I couldn't find any useful arguments to either of the apps
    (signature.exe and BanWiz.exe). The BanWiz executable takes a file name
    as the first parameter but does not actually do anything with it.

    Examples:

    -- path disclosure
    GET /Scripts/SLwebmail/God.dll?LANGUAGE=TONGUES HTTP/1.0

    -- heap overflow
    GET /Scripts/SLwebmail/God.dll?LANGUAGE=X[...]X

    -- silly remote gui app launch
    GET /Scripts/SLwebmail/WebMail/BanWiz.exe
    (possible overflow in query string, havent verified)

    -HD