AIX sendmail open relay

From: Tom Perrine (tepat_private)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 09:53:53 PDT

    This is a relatively minor problem as things go, but after almost 4
    years and at IBM's unofficial request (see the last para.)...

    SDSC Security Note  - March 13, 2003
    IBM AIX sendmail an open-relay by default
    http://security.sdsc.edu/advisories/2003.05.13-AIX-sendmail.txt

    I. BACKGROUND

    IBM's AIX is the flagship IBM UNIX offering.  Almost all versions, up
    to the latest 5.2, deliberately ship as open email relays.  Some IBM
    patches and upgrades for Sendmail have discarded local site changes
    and re-installed the vulnerable sendmail.cf.

    IBM has been notified of this problem via several channels, at various
    times since October 1999.

    II. DESCRIPTION

    IBM has chosen to ship a sendmail configuration for AIX that makes
    servers as an open SMTP relay.  Even though they are shipping newer
    versions of Sendmail software that are not are not open by default,
    IBM intentionally discards the non-relay configuration file and ships
    a default sendmail.cf that makes the system an open relay.

    SDSC and other customers have notified IBM about this problem at
    almost every AIX release since at least 1999.  It has been an "open
    issue" with IBM since that time.

    IBM's comments in 1999 (and since) have boiled down to "put your
    systems behind firewalls".  Later responses have been "users are
    responsible for the configuration of their systems", and "our other
    users insist on this default configuration".

    While we agree that users *are* responsible for the configurations of
    their systems, it is unfriendly to customers to ship software that,
    from the open source community is safe, but has been intentionally
    made unsafe from IBM.  This violates the principle of least
    astonishment, and only adds to the user's workload.

    III. ANALYSIS

    Any IBM AIX system that uses the default sendmail.cf from IBM will be
    an open relay.

    SDSC discovered this and reported it for the first time in October
    1999, when we discovered during installation that our new
    supercomputer (bluehorizon.sdsc.edu, an 1152 processor SP2) had the
    capability to be the world's fastest SPAM relay.  We replaced the
    sendmail.cf with a more rational one.

    Many of IBM's AIX upgrades, have silently over-written our sendmail.cf
    with a vulnerable file from IBM.  We have notified IBM of this issue
    at every OS release.

    As you can see from this ".mc" file from AIX 5.2, IBM has
    intentionally turned on the "promiscuous_relay",
    "accept_unresolvable_domains" and "accept_unqualified_senders"
    features.  All of these are SPAM-friendly.

    # Sample AIX file
    divert(0)dnl
    OSTYPE(aixsample)dnl
    FEATURE(genericstable)dnl
    FEATURE(mailertable)dnl
    FEATURE(virtusertable)dnl
    FEATURE(domaintable)dnl
    FEATURE(allmasquerade)dnl
    FEATURE(promiscuous_relay)dnl
    FEATURE(accept_unresolvable_domains)dnl
    FEATURE(accept_unqualified_senders)dnl
    FEATURE(no_default_msa)
    DOMAIN(generic)dnl
    MAILER(local)dnl
    MAILER(smtp)dnl
    MAILER(uucp)

    IV.  SUMMARY

    After trying to work this through various support channels, we were
    finally told, by anonymous IBM support and developers, "very
    unofficially", that the only way to get this resolved would be to make
    this announcement.

    Tom E. Perrine <tepat_private> | San Diego Supercomputer Center
    http://www.sdsc.edu/~tep/     |