RE: Detailed analysis: Buffer overflow in Explorer.exe on Windows XP SP1

From: Executable Security (exurityat_private)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 08:43:47 PDT

    Hi:

    Obviously, I was playing in the ANSI world. Yes, I agree with you that the
    exploit code written in RTF-16 can be created with a size of about 0xFF4
    bytes. A piece of 0xFF4 bytes long exploit code can do a lot. So, my
    previous statement about limited exploitation of this buffer overflow is not
    accurate.

    It should be very easy to fix this bug. I manually modified the 800H to 400h
    in shell32.dll to fix it.

    Thanks a lot for your mention of BOM and UTF-16. Your concept is learnt and
    programmatically reproduced with GetPrivateProfileSectionW.

    Best regards

    Peter Huang