Compaq Insight Manager - related to Bugtraq ID 2500

From: Brewis, Mark (mark.brewisat_private)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 10:40:06 PDT

    Another one out of the back catalogue, seen again today.

    Version:

    Compaq Insight Manager Version 5.0 or below

    Issue:

    The Proxy vulnerability identified in Bugtraq ID 2500, and the patch
    produced by Compaq for that vuln. does not prevent ftp proxying.

    On a host denying http proxying, it is possible to ftp over http to a third
    party host, using CIM as the proxy.  You can't put or get (probably because
    there isn't an ftp server on CIM to buffer the transfer), but you can
    browse, allowing for a targeted attack.

    Again, I talked to Compaq about this over a year ago, and they appeared to
    work on the principle that the problem went away in the newest version of
    CIM.  I'd forgotten about it until today, when I saw  a CIM/CMA installation
    again.

    Advice - keep upgrading and patching, or stop using CIM.

    Mark Brewis

    Security Consultant
    EDS
    Information Assurance Group
    Wavendon Tower
    Milton Keynes
    Buckinghamshire
    MK17 8LX.

    Tel:	+44 (0)1908 28 4234/4013
    Fax:	+44 (0)1908 28 4393
    E@:	mark.brewisat_private

    individual(s) to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are
    solely those of the author.  If you are not the intended recipient, be
    advised that you have received this email in error and that any use,
    dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this mail is strictly
    prohibited.

    Precautions have been taken to minimise the risk of transmitting software
    viruses, but you must carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to
    this message. No liability can be accepted for any loss or damage caused by
    software viruses.