URLScan detection

From: Stephen Cope (mailat_private)
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 18:58:58 PDT

    Product: URLScan (for IIS)
    Vendor : Microsoft
    Date   : Monday 27 May 2002

    URLScan is a popular "Security Tool" used to filter out malicious
    looking URLs. It has a variety of filters, including blocking requests
    with excess escaped characters or for files with given extensions, eg,
    .exe.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/tools/urlscan.asp

    URLScan can be detected on IIS servers by the way it responds to HEAD
    requests.

    When a bad URL is rewritten it is changed to the GET request type.

    Here's an example in action:

    First an innocent request:

    HEAD /OMG HTTP/1.1
    Host: iis