Re: Algorimic Complexity Attacks

From: Pavel Kankovsky (peakat_private)
Date: Sun Jun 22 2003 - 03:31:44 PDT

    On Sun, 8 Jun 2003, Nicholas Weaver wrote:

    > IF the hash is good, FINDING collisions doesn't necessarily help the
    > attacker, as the attacker really needs to generate lots of collisions
    > to make the searches O(n) instead of O(1), since that is teh key
    > behind this attack.

    First, I myself assume the hash function is quite difficult to crack and
    it takes \Omega(n) (oracle) operations to find a large set of colliding
    keys (with a nonnegligible probability, as usual) using the implementation
    as a "collision oracle". On the other hand, I do not assume the function
    is really uncrackable and this makes it possible to use simpler functions
    that take *much* less time to compute than crypto hashes.

    Second, indeed, it is much easier to carry out this kind of attack when
    an attacker is able to compute colliding keys asking the oracle as few
    questions as possible (i.e. hash function that is easy to crack), perhaps
    even not asking any questions (i.e. any hardcoded hash function).
    Nevertheless, even a situation when one needs a long and tedious
    preparation phase to find collisions by trial and error (e.g. insert
    a pair of entries into the hash table, ask the oracle whether a
    collision was found, remove those entries from the table to keep a low
    profile (!), repeat ad nauseam) may be interesting: an attacker spends
    a day, a week or perhaps a month probing a target system for hash
    collisions but once a sufficiently large set of collisions is found,
    he can strike and disable/slow down the target system at will (assuming
    the hash function is not changed in the meantime).

    --Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
    "Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."