RE: [Symantec Security Advisor] Symantec Security Check ActiveX Buffer Overflow

From: Jason Coombs (jasoncat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 24 2003 - 11:40:44 PDT

    Aloha, Symantec Security.

    Two questions:

    1) Does this ActiveX control bear a digital signature? If so, the problem it
    causes does not go away simply because there is a new version available from
    Symantec. An attacker in possession of the bad code with its attached digital
    signature can fool a victim whose computer does not currently have the
    vulnerable code installed into trusting the ActiveX control due to the fact
    that Symantec's digital signature will validate against the trusted root CA
    certificate present by default in Windows -- the existence of the digital
    signature on the bad code effectively transfers ownership of millions of other
    people's computers to anyone who should become interested in attacking those
    computers; it is extremely important that Symantec take further action above
    and beyond compiling a new version of the affected code because of the ongoing
    threat posed for the duration of the validity of the digital signature.

    2) Symantec must have known in advance of this discovery and disclosure that
    ActiveX was inherently insecure and that the whole system of digital
    signatures and third-party PKI advanced by Microsoft was flawed beyond repair,
    yet Symantec chose to put the computing public at risk anyway -- how can
    Symantec claim that disclosure is a serious threat that should be discouraged
    while Symantec knowingly engages in business behavior that the security
    community knows to be unsafe? If Symantec's products were designed with
    security as the highest priority, they would be open source and they would
    avoid using any technique such as ActiveX controls and digitally signed code
    that has been proven to be impossible to manage securely.

    > premature disclosure can pose a serious threat to the internet.
    > Such disclosure should be discouraged.

    It is pointless to fret over the potential threat that disclosure might cause
    while we simultaneously ignore the provable threats that our misbehaviors do
    cause. Full disclosure is the only protection we have against ourselves and
    our own stupidity, and such disclosure should be encouraged.

    Sincerely,

    Jason Coombs
    jasoncat_private