Re: TA-2003-06 Directory Transversal Vulnerability in iWeb Server

From: Steven M. Christey (coleyat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 12:00:13 PDT

    There are so many variants to directory traversal vulnerabilities,
    especially in web servers and other software where encoding and
    canonicalization is such a factor, that I have seen a number of
    confusing cases such as this.

    It definitely helps when the researcher who discovers a new variant
    specifically references the old variant and says how the underlying
    problem is different.  This doesn't seem to happen too frequently,
    though, and distinguishing between variants gets much more difficult
    when it is not known if the vendor has fixed the original variant.

    In this case, it looks like the programmer introduced what I call a
    "validate-before-canonicalize" error, for lack of a better term: the
    software may well strip ".."  sequences from the input (the original
    bug), but the programmer does this cleansing *before* the operation
    that does the URL decoding (kind of like a new bug - performing
    operations in the wrong order).

    As programmers have slowly gotten better about avoiding the obvious
    directory traversal issues, these "validate-before-canonicalize"
    errors seem to be cropping up more frequently.

    - Steve