[Full-Disclosure] Re: [Security] [vendor-sec] Linux 2.4.x execve() file read race vulnerability

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 15:29:27 PDT

    NC Agent wrote:

    > Hi people,
    >
    > again it is time to discover a funny bug inside the Linux execve()
    > system call.
    > Obviously the setuid binary has been duplicated :-) (but with no
    > setuid flag of course).

    You mean there are actually still people who believe that granting x
    permission but not r permission actually prevents people from reading
    the file? I mean besides the crowd that believes in Santa Clause, the
    Easter Bunny, and Jesus :) I expect there to be a large number of ways
    to do this. This particular hack is cute, though :)

    Crispin, equal opportunity offender :)

    --
    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.           http://immunix.com/~crispin/
    Chief Scientist, Immunix       http://immunix.com