[Full-Disclosure] Re: [sec-labs] Adobe Acrobat Reader <=5.0.7 Buffer Overflow Vulnerability + PoC code

From: KF (dotslashat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 09:09:24 PDT

    I could not reproduce this with the following files on linux:

    gentoo adobe-PoC # md5sum /usr/local/Acrobat5/bin/acroread
    a4908088a3dfe2d7a72f0792ca8534e0  /usr/local/Acrobat5/bin/acroread
    gentoo adobe-PoC # md5sum linux-507.tar.gz
    25f0ab387ebed3bf63ca24962ffcf9fa  linux-507.tar.gz

    nor with

    gentoo adobe-PoC # md5sum /usr/local/Acrobat5/bin/acroread
    a3c3d54042e91d152bb82649038159cf  /usr/local/Acrobat5/bin/acroread
    gentoo adobe-PoC # md5sum linux-505.tar.gz
    5c1cef0b5b1eb75ed01fefb3d6a88ce0  linux-505.tar.gz

    I was instead old "A browser has not been specified. Do you want to
    configure Weblink Prefrences?"  I set the browser to mozilla and had
    no luck with the overflow... just a mozilla mail with a HUGE mail to: line.

    am I missing something?

    -KF

    sec-labs team wrote:

    >     sec-labs team proudly presents:
    >
    >     Buffer overflow vulnerability in Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0.7 and earlier
    >     by mcbethh
    >     29/06/2003
    >
    >   I. BACKGROUND
    >
    >     quote from documentation:
    >     'The Acrobat Reader allows anyone to view, navigate, and print documents
    >     in the Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF).'
    >
    >     However there is Acrobat Reader 6.0 for windows nad MacOS, version 5.0.7
    >     is last for unix.
    >
    >   II. DESCRIPTION
    >
    >     There is buffer overflow vulnerability in WWWLaunchNetscape function. It
    >     copies link address to 256 bytes (in 5.0.5 version) buffer until '\0' is
    >     found. If link is longer than 256 bytes return address is overwritten.
    >     Notice that user have to execute (click on it) our link to exploit this
    >     vulnerability. User also have to have netscape browser in preferences,
    >     but it is default setting.
    >
    >   III. IMPACT
    >
    >     If somebody click on a link from .pdf file specialy prepared by attacker,
    >     malicious code can be executed with his privileges.
    >
    >   IV. PROOF OF CONCEPT
    >
    >     Proof of concept exploit is attached. It doesn't contain shellcode nor
    >     valid return address. It just shows that return address can be overwriten
    >     with any value. Use gdb to see it, because acroread will not crash.

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html