[LSD] Critical security vulnerability in Microsoft Operating Systems

From: Last Stage of Delirium (contact@lsd-pl.net)
Date: Wed Jul 16 2003 - 21:27:27 PDT

    Hello,

    We have discovered a critical security vulnerability in all recent versions of
    Microsoft operating systems. The vulnerability affects default installations
    of Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP as well as Windows 2003 Server.

    This is a buffer overflow vulnerability that exists in an integral component of
    any Windows operating system, the RPC interface implementing Distributed Component
    Object Model services (DCOM). In a result of implementation error in a function
    responsible for instantiation of DCOM objects, remote attackers can obtain
    unauthorized access to vulnerable systems.

    The existence of the vulnerability has been confirmed by Microsoft Corporation.
    The appropriate security bulletin as well as fixes for all affected platforms
    are available for download from http://www.microsoft.com/security/ (MS03-026).

    It should be emphasized that this vulnerability poses an enormous threat and
    appropriate patches provided by Microsoft should be immediately applied.

    We have decided not to publish codes or any technical details with regard to
    this vulnerability at the moment.

    With best regards,
    Members of
    The Last Stage of Delirium