RE: Drivial Pursuit: Internet Explorer Browser & Your Files and Folders !

From: Thor Larholm (thorat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 17:07:26 PDT

    I can positively confirm this vulnerability on both WMP 7 and 8 on Windows
    98, ME, 2000, XP and 2003. The default Enhanced Security Configuration of IE
    on Windows 2003 does nothing to prevent automatically opening certain media
    types.

    The ASF file can be automatically opened through an IFRAME, both on a
    webpage and in an email - even with scripting disabled in the Restricted
    Zone, which has so far been a major mitigating factor. This means that an
    emailborne exploit would execute immediately when a user opened or previewed
    an HTML-based email.

    Regards
    Thor Larholm
    PivX Solutions, LLC - Senior Security Researcher