Re: [sec-labs] Zone Alarm Device Driver vulnerability

From: Corey Bridges (cbridgesat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 19:27:41 PDT

    Following is the official Zone Labs response to this report by Lord YuP.

    Corey Bridges
    Chief Editor of E-Communities
    Zone Labs, Inc.
    (v) 415.341.8355
    (f) 415.341.8299

    ***

    Zone Labs response to Device Driver Attack

    OVERVIEW:  This vulnerability describes a way to send unauthorized
    commands to a Zone Labs device driver and potentially cause unexpected
    behavior. This proof-of-concept exploit represents a relatively low risk
    to Zone Labs users.  It is a “secondary” exploit that requires physical
    access to a machine or circumvention of other security measures included
    in Zone Labs consumer and enterprise products to exploit. We are working
    on a fix and will release it within 10 days.

    EXPLOIT: The demonstration code is a proof-of-concept example that
    describes a potential attack against the Zone Labs device driver that is
    part of the TrueVector client security engine. In the exploit, a malicious
    application sends unauthorized commands to this device driver. The author
    also claims that this could potentially compromise system security. While
    we have verified that unauthorized commands could be sent to the device
    driver, we have not been able to verify that this exploit can actually
    affect system security. The code sample published was intentionally
    incomplete, to prevent malicious hackers from using it.

    RISK: We believe that the immediate risk to users from this exploit is
    low, for several reasons: this is a secondary attack, not a primary
    vulnerability created or allowed by our product. Successful exploitation
    of this vulnerability would require bypassing several other layers of
    protection in our products, including the stealth firewall and/or MailSafe
    email protection. To our knowledge, there are no examples of malicious
    software exploiting this vulnerability. Further, the code sample was
    written specifically to attack ZoneAlarm 3.1, an older version of our
    software.

    SOLUTION: Security for our users is our first concern, and we take reports
    of this kind seriously. We will be updating our products to address this
    issue by further strengthening protection for our device driver and will
    make these updates available in the next 10 days. Registered users who
    have enabled the "Check for Update" feature in ZoneAlarm, ZoneAlarm Plus,
    or ZoneAlarm Pro are informed by the software automatically whenever a new
    software update is released. Zone Labs will provide guidance to Integrity
    administrators regarding updating their client software.

    CONTACT: Zone Labs customers who are concerned about the proof-of-concept
    Device Driver Attack or have additional technical questions may reach our
    Technical Support group at:
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/support.jsp

    ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: Zone Labs would like to thank Lord YuP for bringing this
    issue to our attention. However, we would prefer to be contacted at
    securityat_private prior to publication, in order to allow us to
    address any security issues up front.