RE: [Full-Disclosure] Microsoft MCWNDX.OCX ActiveX buffer overflow

From: Jason Coombs (jasoncat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 12:36:25 PDT

    What about pointing the OBJECT tag codebase to a known, or probable, location
    on the victim's own hard drive?

    ActiveX never implemented any type of "same origin policy" the way JavaScript
    does, so a local codebase reference should work as a technique to silently
    activate any Microsoft-signed ActiveX control.

    But I could be mistaken, this is commentary from memory not experimental
    result.

    I'd much rather spend my time conducting security audits of Linux and trying
    to help those companies threatened by SCO's copyright claims defend themselves
    in court.

    Jason Coombs
    jasoncat_private