Re: Need help. Proof of concept 100% security.

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 12:56:10 PDT

    Balwinder Singh wrote:

    >I have developed an application, which I believe can provide 100%
    >security against various attacks.I can hear people laughing. Hmm..
    >The applications is called Execution Flow Control (EFC).
    >Details of software can be found at http://203.197.88.14/efc

    This sounds somewhat similar to our SubDomain
    <http://immunix.org/subdomain.html> product, which profiles applications
    in terms of what files they may access. It sounds very similar to the
    approach taken by Systrace
    <http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/provos/systrace/>,  Okena
    <http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/corp_012403.html> and Entercept
    <http://www.entercept.com/>, which like EFC, profile applications in
    terms of which system calls they may invoke.

    At least Systrace also allows you to profile the arguments presented to
    syscalls, so you can fake SubDomain's file access control paradigm. This
    is important, because "touch /etc/pointless" is rather different from
    "touch /etc/hosts.allow". It is unclear from the EFC documents if EFC
    supports argument profiling.

    The advantages of syscall access control:

        * more expressive: if you know that application Foo has no business
          calling e.g. mkdir, then you can catch exploits that try to
          leverage that kind of thing.

    The advantages of SubDomain:

        * It is easier to generate a file access profile for an application
          than a syscall profile. Instead, SubDomain just has a long list of
          prohibited/dangerous syscalls for confined applications, letting
          the admin think about important stuff (which files to grant access
          to) and ignore less important stuff (who cares if *this* app calls
          getpid?).
        * Syscall mediation is prone to race conditions inside the kernel if
          it is implemented using syscall interposition.

    Crispin

    --
    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.           http://immunix.com/~crispin/
    Chief Scientist, Immunix       http://immunix.com