Re: Buffer overflow prevention

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 13:11:33 PDT

    Mark Handley wrote:

    >>Heterogeneity increases survivability of the *species*, but does little
    >>to protect the individual.
    >>

    >What you're not taking into account is contagion.  Amongst a
    >homogeneous population, a pathogen that infects your friends can
    >likely infect you.  Amongst a heterogeneous population, if the same
    >pathogen infects a friend, there's a significantly lower probability
    >it can infect you.

    To the contrary, I did take this into account in the portion of the
    quote that you cut:

        A site manager seeking to protect their own servers cares little if
        an attack that takes them down doesn't take down their competitors.
        In fact, it's kind of bad if heterogeneity means that you go down
        and your competitors don't. At most, you could say that running the
        most common system makes you somewhat more vulnerable to attack, and
        you should take that into consideration when planning your security.

    Running more common species makes you more vulnerable.

    >How does this affect networks?  Well, if you're a webserver or
    >mailserver that talks to everyone, the heterogeneity doesn't buy you
    >so much (other than, as you said, there might be more pathogens for
    >popular systems).  But if you're configured to not talk to the whole
    >world (via a firewall, or something equivalent), then you're a whole
    >lot safer if the machines you do communicate with are different from
    >you in ways that make contagion harder.

    As I said the last time the bio analogy came up, analogies are like
    goldfish: sometimes they have nothing to do with the topic at hand. The
    notion of being non-promiscuous and careful about who you talk to does
    not work here: non-vulnerable Linux mail servers are fully capable of
    passing virus-infected mails to vulnerable Windows clients. Firewall
    mailing lists are currently full fo sorry stories about Blaster coming
    in through VPNs, even though the firewall was blocking the right ports
    from the outside.

    Crispin

    --
    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.           http://immunix.com/~crispin/