Re: Buffer overflow prevention

From: Darren Reed (avalonat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 15:13:25 PDT

    > Yet, persistantly we have been flooded by PAX supporters demanding
    > that we should give credit to the PAX people for the ideas in W^X.
    > When we had NOT known about PAX, and when W^X does NOT technically do
    > what PAX does.
    >
    > How is it that out of one side of the mouth PAX people say that things
    > which I say are not possible on i386 using W^X (full per-page X bit) are
    > possible using PAX, and then the other side of the mouth says that W^X
    > is just derived from PAX ideas?
    [...]
    > Oh?  So to get their reward, they send out their drones to assault other
    > projects, and get credit that is not theirs?
    [...]
    > I urge the PAX authors to get their community's rabid foaming under control.

    Damn, this looks like textbook OpenBSD methodology for getting a vendor
    to release hardware documentation or otherwise do what OpenBSD wants.

    I guess it's a methodology that's only acceptable when it's being done
    for the "noble" goals of the OpenBSD project and not when it is being
    targetted at OpenBSD itself.

    I suppose you might say this is a case of OpenBSD getting back what it
    dishes out to others.

    I sincerely doubt that this will have any impact, however, on the behaviour
    of the OpenBSD drones.  But one can still hope.

    Now if I could think of a security-related angle, this email might even
    have a chance of ending up being sent to the bugtraq list...

    (o)