Re: Need help. Proof of concept 100% security.

From: Anil Madhavapeddy (anilat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 09:18:47 PDT

    On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 11:01:54PM +0100, Alaric B Snell wrote:

    > If the target program *ever* performs, say, the syscalls required to
    > start up a shell (fork, some socket calls to set up a listener, accept,
    > then dups of fds then exec, say?) - even with other syscalls inbetween -
    > then the shell code might well perform the syscalls in order, using
    > dummy arguments for syscalls it doesn't want (open /dev/zero and read
    > blocks of 0 bytes from it and so on).

    Wagner and Soto published a paper about these 'mimicry' attacks:
    http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daw/papers/mimicry.pdf

    ... with regards to intrusion detection systems; same applies for host
    based security.  It's a problem that any behavioural models based purely
    on syscalls have a tough time getting around.  That, and how to reduce
    the size of the FSM generated if you trace through all possible
    permutations of the control flow statically.

    > But still - it sounds promising; it reminds me of an idea I was
    > considering (but Theo de Raadt hated!) of allowing processes to drop
    > certain syscalls (or certain modes of operation of syscalls - many are
    > multi-function), shedding priveleges in the same manner as setuid-ing
    > down to nobody or chrooting. So Apache could, after binding to its
    > ports, drop the ability to bind to ports. After opening its log files,
    > it could drop the ability to open files for writing. Each child process
    > would abandon fork rights, and exec rights as soon as it sees it's not a
    > CGI.

    It just adds another layer of complexity to an already over-complex
    kernel/userland interface.  If you're going to change the source like this,
    I prefer privilege separation instead, which works without kernel changes.

    --
    Anil Madhavapeddy                                   http://anil.recoil.org
    University of Cambridge                            http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk