Remote MS03-026 vulnerability detection

From: Abe (abe@itsec-ss.nl)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 04:33:07 PDT

    Hi,

    Lately, I've been trying to find a way to detect whether a host is
    vulnerable to the MS RPC issue fixed by MS03-026. This detection should
    be possible remotely, without registry access and without disrupting
    services.

    I have discovered that, when multiple "RemoteActivation Requests" are
    send to the target system, the delays between the requests and the
    replies vary. After running multiple tests, I have found that, on
    patched W2k systems, there is a very distinct pattern in the delays
    between a RemoteActivation request and reply. Example:

    Delay 1: 0.002550 seconds
    Delay 2: 0.000305
    Delay 3: 0.002438
    Delay 4: 0.000301
    Delay 5: 0.002458
    Delay 6: 0.000307

    On an unpatched system, the pattern is much more irregular:

    Delay 1: 0.002298 seconds
    Delay 2: 0.000687
    Delay 3: 0.002254
    Delay 4: 0.002833
    Delay 5: 0.005187
    Delay 6: 0.000663

    Has anyone else found this? Could this be used as a way to detect
    whether a system is patched or not? Does anyone know of another way to
    detect this?

    Regards,

    Abe

    ITsec Security Services