Re: Heterogeneity as a form of obscurity, and its usefulness

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 10:03:00 PDT

    Eric Greenberg wrote:

    >Heterogeneity has played a major role in disastor and recovery designs for
    >as long as I can remember (that would be the past 20 years). Equally so, I

    Be *very* careful here: security is fundamentally different from fault
    tolerance. FT needs to defeat random, independent faults, and
    heterogeneity helps. Security needs to defeat an intelligent adversary,
    and the adversary can defeat two heterogeneous systems with
    approximately twice the effort of defeating a single system. The
    defender, in turn, has to spend approximately twice the effort to deploy
    dual heterogeneous systems as to deploy a single system.

    I argue that it is worse than that, because the effort to defeat two
    heterogeneous systems is somewhat *less* than double that of a single
    system (because the attacker can exploit common design and
    implementation failures) and the effort to deploy & operate dual
    heterogeneous systems is somewhat *more* than double that of a single
    system (because the defender must account for both consistency and
    incompatibility).

    Once again, it is not that heterogeneity doesn't work. It's that for the
    goal of defending a single resource, it is not as cost-effective as due
    diligence & best practices, such as properly employed authentication,
    firewalls, and secure operating systems.

    Crispin

    --
    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.           http://immunix.com/~crispin/
    Chief Scientist, Immunix       http://immunix.com