Re: [Full-Disclosure] Trend Micro Interscan Viruswall: missing whole_file_scan=yes let pass at least one Sobig.f eMail

From: Dr. Peter Bieringer (pbieringerat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 04:22:30 PDT

    Hi again,

    --On Mittwoch, 3. September 2003 12:56 +0200 "Dr. Peter Bieringer"
    <pbieringerat_private> wrote:

    > seen on Interscan Viruswall for Linux 3.8 Build 1080, one email
    > containing a Sobig.f passed the scanner without any detection.
    >
    > A Trend Micro "vscan" run on the received plain mail will detect the
    > virus.
    >
    > Response from support: add in section "[smtp]" option
    > "whole_file_scan=yes"
    >
    > Interesting, looks like the default is "no" (very dangerous imho), also
    > it looks like this option is neither documented nor changeable via web
    > interface.

    Inbetween I got additional URLs from another guy:

       http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/solutionDetail.asp?solutionID=13531
       http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/solutionDetail.asp?solutionID=15152

    Problem is a "known issue"...read for yourself...has anyone ever received a
    warning about that problem from the vendor?

    It's not nice to get information after an incident...

    	Peter
    --
    Dr. Peter Bieringer                             Phone: +49-8102-895190
    AERAsec Network Services and Security GmbH        Fax: +49-8102-895199

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html