RE: Worm's Potential

From: Kuo, Jimmy (Jimmy_Kuo@private)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 18:27:20 PDT

    sigh

    The worm sent packets to every IP address it computed.

    If your machine was an unpatched IIS server, it took command via the
    exploit.

    If your IIS server was in English, it replaced the pages going out.

    Then it DoS'ed ...91, which was one of the www.whitehouse.gov sites.

    In 7 days, it'll go to sleep.

    In 10days, someone will unleash it again.

    There will be fewer machines to take over.

    We'll still suffer the network overload.  Cablemodems will crash, and any
    number of other Internet machines that process HTTP GETs will crash.

    But if they change the payload, someone will just come up with another
    clever way to detour that payload.

    You're dealing with all the best minds of our great USA working together.
    Certainly, someone has thought.

    And it's not over.  We're still working on it.

    Jimmy Kuo