Hacker Delight

From: Jimmy Sadri (jimmys@private)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 14:22:00 PDT

      As I was sitting here filtering out all the "Code Red" hits on my IDS's
    and Firewall's a thought occurred to me... This could be a hackers
    delight... in the sense that all a hacker has to do is sit back and wait
    for the "Code Red" hits to show up in his logs.  He then has a potential
    list of targets which are known to be vulnerable.  No searching
    required.  Using the code provided by that Japanse dude "Speed
    Junkie" they could easily go through on each of these boxes as they appear
    in the logs.  The user will assume (if they ever figure it out) that it
    was just the "Code Red" worm...  But my point all these boxes infected by
    the are simply becon's saying "Come hack me! and here's my IP so you don't
    have to search for me"

    Hmmmm hope for everyone's (everyone meaning IIS users) sake that I am the
    only one to think of this.

    Jimmy Sadri                           jimmys@private
    Network Engineer/                     jimmys@private
    Security Consultant