802.11 WEP

From: Jim Binkley (jrb@private)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 10:07:24 PDT

    Dear crimelist,

    if you are using WEP/802.11 you might wish to read the following:

    http://www.cs.rice.edu/~astubble/wep/

    abstract:
    We implemented an attack against WEP, the link-layer security protocol
    for 802.11 networks. The attack was described in a recent paper by
    Fluhrer, Mantin, and Shamir. With our implementation,
    and permission of the network administrator, we were able to
    recover the 128 bit secret key used in a production network, with
    a passive attack. The WEP standard uses RC4 IVs improperly, and
    the attack exploits this design failure. This paper describes the
    attack, how we implemented it, and some optimizations to make the
    attack more efficient. We conclude that 802.11 WEP is totally
    insecure, and we provide some recommendations.

    -------------------------------
    I have not read this paper yet, but the names associated with both
    the recent paper, and this paper (Shamir, then Rubin/JI) are enough
    for me to bring this to your attention.

    Another current url with recent slides from a Black Hat talk by
    Ian Goldberg ...

    http://www.isaac.cs.berkeley.edu/isaac/wep-faq.html

    My personal opinions on this subjects are rather pithy:
    Do not EVER rely on wireless link layer security as your only
    protocol protection.  If you do, you may be unhappy sooner or later.
    There is no track record other than bad.  Ian Goldberg has a security
    talk/rant out there somewhere on cell phone security
    (http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~iang/blackhat.ps)
    that panders to my instincts.  I am skeptical about claims that
    the next version will be right.  (802.1X or whatever it is).
    Why not IPSEC?
    					:->
    					regards,
    					Jim Binkley