Stopping Hackers at the ISP

From: Greg Fry (gfry10@private)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 17:53:01 PDT

    Hello,
    	I often capture all activity occurring on my network
    and analyze it
    to see who is trying what.  Often there are lots of
    machines out there scanning
    and attempting to exploit known (but plugged) holes.
    I've been thinking about
    starting an effort to force ISPs to notify clients
    that are doing such things,
    that they are known and will be "cut-off" if any
    future activity occurs.  The
    ISPs would make these notifications based on other
    clients indicating that
    inappropriate activity is being directed against their
    systems.
    	This would accomplish two things:  1) Cut down on
    some of those people
    that are trying to compromise other peoples systems.
    And  2) Allow those people
    whose systems are being used without their knowledge
    to further spread viruses
    (such as the codered on IIS - many IIS managers didn't
    even know that their
    machines were actively spreading it), to be notified
    so they can more quickly
    do something about it.
    	Comments are welcome, but please keep them short.  If
    you think this is
    a good idea and would like to help push it forward,
    let me know.  If you have
    some concerns why there might be problems with this,
    I'd be glad to hear from
    you also.  But keep it short in either case.
    	I have contacted Verizon's ISP department and
    suggested something similar
    to them, but have not heard back from them.
    	GFry