Re: CRIME secure mail programs/internet

From: Jere Retzer (retzerj@private)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 12:17:54 PST

    I did not see it previously mentioned however some exploits you need to be very concerned about if you are storing confidential materials on their PC's are ones which simply grab whatever files they find on the user's computer and mail them to people in the address book (or the trojan author), and the various kinds of monitoring programs that are emerging --- keyboard monitors for example.  HIPAA has three parts, transactions, privacy and security. Not only do you need to encrypt data for transmission -- in the case of medicare data now -- across the Internet but you also must provide security for the equipment and the data which includes access controls, backup, etc, etc. The implications for home access are very substantial.

    >>> Scott Elam <Scott.Elam@private> 11/30/01 10:20AM >>>
    Oh, I forgot to mention all the hackers that will also have access
    to your confidential information on Hotmails servers.

    Just one example is:

    http://www.computing.vnunet.com/News/1125477

    Scott
    --