Re: CRIME Piracy, or Innovation It's Hollywood vs. High Tech

From: Steve Beattie (steve@private)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 12:39:52 PST

    On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 02:41:11AM -0800, Lyle Leavitt wrote:
    > I have dealt with these issues though out my career. This is an age
    > old problem which has exploded along with internet access. Few people
    > understand the copyright or piracy laws of this country. All of them
    > are broken on a daily basis often unintentionally. If a law isn't
    > enforced people will not take the time to understand it.

    While it's true that people do violate copyrights often unintentionally,
    the legally accepted notion of allowed fair use is being dramatically
    reduced by music and film industry lobbying.

    Furthermore, such actions as the DMCA have had serious unintended
    (or possibly intended) consequences: consider the Felten case where a
    group of computer security researchers wanted to publish an academic
    paper regarding security flaws in SDMI (Secure Digital Music Initiative)
    technology. They were finally allowed by the SDMI group to publish their
    research, but any additional followup research is not covered by the
    agreement the SDMI group made. This is problematic, because the methods
    Felten et al. used to find digital watermarks have a very high probability
    of being applicable to seismology (potentially for oil exploration),
    but because it also can be used to circumvent Digital Rights Management,
    publishing research in this area is prohibited under the DMCA unless
    expressly allowed by the SDMI group.

    As another example, consider the Johansen DeCSS case: Jon Johansen
    managed to break the DVD encryption scheme (it was very poorly
    implemented, but telling you technical details about it could get _me_
    prosecuted under the DMCA [1]) in an attempt to play his DVDs under Linux.
    For this, he was arrested in his home country of Norway at the request
    of movie industry groups and is currently threatened with a two-year
    jail term. Furthermore, people in the United States are being prosecuted
    under the DMCA for publishing the DeCSS source code Johansen on the
    internet -- in some case, they're being prosecuted for merely _linking_ to
    it.

    The problem is that the music and video industries do not understand
    that there are free speech problems with technology regulation itself
    (a la DMCA and SSSCA).  As Seth David Schoen put it so eloquently on
    another mail list:

      "Tragically, the studios are steeped in the attitude that, in effect,
       the first amendment protects _their_ industry's right to exist and to
       produce its products without government content mandates -- but that
       this protection doesn't extend to technologists, and that technical
       freedom isn't even contemplated by that amendment."

    You can see this directly in Eisner's comments to the senate that
    started this whole discussion.

    Technical regulation in the form of the DMCA and SSSCA are serious
    impediments to the nation's computer and network security infrastructure,
    as poor as it already is.

    [1] There is a section in the DMCA that allows disemmination of
        information for law enforcement, but for those of us not in law
        enforcement, even doing something as discussing technical security
        vulnerabilities on a mailing list like CRIME can be a violation of
        the DMCA.

    --
    Steve Beattie                               Don't trust programmers?
    <steve@private>                         Complete StackGuard distro at