Re: CRIME Need some assistence

From: Alan (alan@private)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 12:51:32 PST

    On Tuesday 26 March 2002 12:06, Dorning, Kevin E - DI-2 wrote:
    > I'm working on a case and was given an IBM Thinkpad to review.  The owner
    > has implemented a BIOS password.
    > I removed the hard drive intending to mount it on our enCase system, but
    > find that the Tinkpad Thin Drives have a thin connector as well.
    > does anyone have either a method of cracking the Thinkpad BIOS password, or
    > an adaptor recommendation to allow connection to the enCase system.

    You can get laptop-to-ide drive adapters at Norvac for $10-15. (Frys has them
    as well.)  They will allow you to mount a standard laptop drive into a
    standard PC.

    The IBM drives are normal laptop drives.  Compaq used to use non-standard
    connectors on their drives. I am not certain if they do that any more.

    If it is urgent, I have an adpater here that works.  (I have used it on
    laptop drives during upgrades.)