CRIME Message from the list founder

From: John McHugh (jmchugh@private)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 10:34:32 PDT

    I was the first "owner" of the CRIME list, crime@private, and
    hosted it for several years, until I left the Portland area.

    The list was established in the early days of the Portland area
    High-Tech Crime Seminar series to provide a vehicle for announcing
    seminar meetings and topics and for continuing discussions between
    meetings.  The Portland State CS department agreed to allow the list
    to use their majordomo list server, and I agreed to be the
    owner/manager of the list, provided minimal management was required.

    Early on, the issue of controlling access to the list arose.  I
    remember that George Houston was "alarmed" that several subscribers
    used "hotmail" addresses and wondered if we should permit such
    "anonymous" users access.  I argued that the list should be open to
    all who wanted to subscribe (not wanting to have to make decisions
    about membership) and it remained that way.

    The infraguard aspect arose after I left the Portland area and I am
    not sure I understand the issues there.

    John McHugh